It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.


Wednesday, October 6, 2010

at Mona's club

My friend Mona lent me her exclusive club membership pass for the day. October 6th is a national holiday to celebrate the Egyptian victory over Israel in 1973. I wanted to swim in the gorgeous Olympic size pool in my western swim suit without awkwardness so I planned my arrival for mid-morning. There were only 2 -3 other families around, so my plan worked perfectly. (Egyptians tend to stay up very late and sleep in.)  


Peter and I had been here a couple of times with Mona when we first arrived, but these were visits at night with a coffee and lots of conversation about the upcoming school year. This time I took a leisurely stroll to see all of the facilities. I saw…

…tennis courts and soccer (I mean football) fields. 
The villas in the background are extremely expensive (over 1 million EGY pounds) and are in a compound designed with access to the club facilities.

 


 



…lawn bowling (or something)


…restaurants
I stopped for a Turkish coffee, of course.

...handsome walkways

 …shady nooks and comfy chairs

The club is lush. This is a desert, so the attention required to create these grounds is phenomenal. Mona tells us these tall trees were purchased full-grown at great expense. Remember, 6th of October is only 10 years old!












…sculpted trees and bushes
Attention to architectural detail seems to be an Egyptian hallmark!








 








… gardens, and flowers, and flowers




By the time I left, mid-afternoon, the place was filling up with families enjoying the holiday. Egyptians are family oriented, and love talking, eating and playing together. The club  was filled with laughter and at least 3 or even 4 generations in every grouping. 

I had a totally relaxing day, made complete with the essential wild dog spotting. We will do a future blog devoted just to the dogs. Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment